ÇáãÓÇÚÏ ÇáÔÎÕí ÇáÑÞãí

ãÔÇåÏÉ ÇáäÓÎÉ ßÇãáÉ : Topic 1 - Why English

Sami96SA
13-10-2002, 07:00 PM
Hi all

Our first topic for discussion this time is answers and elaboration on why we should learn how to write , read, and speak English

Why is it importnat in today's world to master English as a language. Why not French, or Spanish, or even Arabic

Let's hear your views on this topic before we move on to the next one which shall be specific on a certain issue

We will give this topic three days and I hope everyone participates with his opinion

The idea which initiated this series of topics came from here (http://forum.dorarr.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=31862#post31862)

------------------

Sami

BackShadow
13-10-2002, 07:35 PM
Hi Sami

I think we should learn English because It's the International Language for so many fields like :

Commercial , Medical , Industrial , etc

and I think also the main reason is the increase of the space of ( GREAT BRITAIN ) in the last Centuries .

So they made every country they capture it to learn their language .

That’s it

Best Regards

KHUDER_SA
15-10-2002, 10:10 AM
An excellent subject to start with Sami,

In my opinion, because of the rapid growth of the communication around the world which made the universe a small village as many people say, a crucial need to speaking one language between this universe dwellers has came up to make life much easier for everyone

In fact, the need of speaking one language has started long time ago but the revolution of communication has increased it as thousand times as it was beforeThe creation of that need began as what Back shadow said with the expanding colonization of Great Britain in the past century which made the English people keen to have their language be spoken in all of there colonies and now when the communication burst has came in ,as we said, and the need to speaking one language became a necessity, English was found to be the most proper language for that purpose as it’s spoken as a second “if not first” language in many parts of the world

I understand that Spanish is spoken so widely as well especially in South America but it is spoken by non-influential countries in terms of the power on the world wide communication they have, the same thing applies to Chinese which is spoken by the majority of the world population but those who speak that language are isolated within a specific area where the language can’t expand further to influence the other parts of the world.

In addition to that, the great power and influence that USA has on the whole world, made the necessity to speaking English for other parts of the world is bigger to better communicate with the governor of the world, I also won’t forget the economical and industrial colonization of the USA which made everybody needs to speak English to cope with the tremendous growth in industry taking into consideration the incapability of far east nations to use there languages for marketing their industries including Japan

Thank you

KHUDER

Sami96SA
15-10-2002, 06:28 PM
]
Shadow

I like your answers because in a short sentence you summerized the reasons why we should learn English. I would add to what you said as another reason is the fact we have been in many ways so much behind with technology that forced us to seek it from its source

The countries that are most developed use English as the common language for communicating with each other and the rest of the world, with the exception of France which is so profound with French as the language. The French has tried so hard to make their language universal, and they have succeeded in many parts of the world, but French as a language will have to do a lot more to replace English. Being the official language of US and Britain, our Alies, English has imposed itself naturally on us so we can further pursue cooperation, education, trading with these countries in particular

Why do you think the Americans chose English as the native language when we know they came to America as immegrants from Euorope

--------------------

Sami

Sami96SA
15-10-2002, 06:39 PM
Khuder

Your reply offers a summarized essay as answers to the questions in the topic. It is beutifully put together. I suggest you keep it in a file because I have a feeling you will refer to it in the future to give it someone who will be looking for such a write up to submit it as a requested homework

I agree with all what you've mentioned, and in the second paragraph where you talked about Spanish not being a powerful language because the countries who communicate it are the underdogs drives me to ask you a question

Does the language affect the international statue of the nation? I mean, if the Americans spoke Spanish, wouldn't we be knowing of them as much

Or is it how much forceful and powerful they have become in terms of technology is why we should learn their language which is English

My best regards

-------------------

Sami

KHUDER_SA
16-10-2002, 07:46 AM
Thank you Sami for the nice praising, I hope what you said about my input has no exaggeration

In answering your question I would say that the language by itself can’t spread to reach other countries unless its home country makes it extends by the power it has

So if English is spoken in India, as a native language, and Urdu is the native language of the USA or Britain, then Urdu would be replacing English today. that's why I said Spanish was not able to compete with English in this regard because of the influence of the home country of that language on the rest of the world

If I may say my opinion with regard to your question to Shadow about “why Americans used English as a language for them although they came form different European countries”, as far as I know, America by itself was one of the colonies of Britain and it got broken with it in 1776, for that reason English was the formal language of the USA

Thank you

Khuder

ãáßÉ ÇáÈÍÇÑ
17-10-2002, 07:33 PM
slam 3laykom

hi sami
Beautiful topic

I want to speak English fluently
that why i learn it:)

KHUDER_SA
17-10-2002, 08:43 PM
Hello, Queen of Seas

I would comment on your input here on behalf of Sami "If I may Sami"

It's great to say that you want to speak English fluently and that's why you learnt it, but the question is: Why do you want to speak English fluently? Why not French, Spanish Chinese or Japanese why English in particular

Some people look at it as a kind of a prestige that ranks them at a high class in the society when they speak good English, others consider being fluent in English as part of the modern life necessities to the extent of considering those who don't speak English as illiterates and there are people who follow the advice of our prophet Mohammed when said "learning others languages helps you avoid their unfaithfulness

Thank you

Khuder

ãáßÉ ÇáÈÍÇÑ
17-10-2002, 10:17 PM
Hi khuder
?how are you man

I’m agree with you some people like this

But me learn it to look for suitable and good job in future insha2 Allah
Some students learn to speak English õõbecause it pass admission
tests at universities also that why i learn it ..

thank you brother :)

..Take care all

KHUDER_SA
18-10-2002, 12:15 AM
Ladies & Gentlemen,

Queen of Seas has brought up something important here, she said that learning English is essential for getting a satisfactory job

I wonder if somebody can tell us why most of the companies if not all of them use English as their business language especially when we know that they are operating in countries where English is not the native language and they have to spend a lot to improve the English level of their employees, in addition to that, sometimes they face the risk of having safety or industrial disasters that are caused by miscommunication as a result of not good use of English

Thank you

Khuder

BackShadow
18-10-2002, 04:46 PM
Hi

Ok Sami you asked me this question :

Why do you think the Americans choose English as the native language when we know they came to America as immigrants from Europe ?

Realy I don't know why ...

and i wanna know the reason of this

Maybe as i menition before

" the increase of the space of ( GREAT BRITAIN ) in the last Centuries "

so the people who went to america that days already choose English to be their native language .

and about Khuder question :

why most of the companies if not all of them use English as their business language ?

Because the english language is an international commerecial language .

Thanks

Sami96SA
19-10-2002, 05:41 PM
Khuder

Please accept my appologies for this awfly late reply. Weekend came along as you know which tool me off the forum temporarily

No, it wasn't an exaggeration what I said about your essay, and I meant what I said. Similarily, your views as answers to my follow up questions came very convincing especially the part in which you said the nation's capital statue is what governes the international level of its langauge being the leading communicating media

I tend to agree with you partly on what you said that America itself was once Great Britain's colony as the reason for English becoming the leading language, but the part I disgree with you on is the fact that Canada whic was a French Empire did not end up speaking French. What happened there
-----------------

Queen of The Seas

I am glad to have you aboard with us in this discussion panel. Like Khuder said, it is generally nice to be speaking a forign language fluently especially when this language is internationally spread and counted on for communication I think Khude did well in redirecting you to the focus of our discussion, and for that I extend to him my sincere appreciation

-----------------

Shadow

Exactly. Those who immigrated to America came largely from countries who already spoke English such as Ireland, Britain, and others. As Khuder stated, America used to be colonized by the British and English as a language dominated

------------------------------

I think we have come to the end of the discussion on this topic, and I suggeset next topic be opened in a new post by a different member. I nominate Khuder to open up a new topic and aslo direct the discussion through

Thank you all for your participation and for giving away your valuable time

-------------

Sami

KHUDER_SA
20-10-2002, 02:45 PM
Thank you Sami for nominating me to bring up a new topic for discussion but I beg everybody’s pardon to allow me few days to prepare a good one as I’ll be traveling to Riyadh this week and hopefully sometimes next week it will be ready for Publicity in the forum
Thank you

Khuder

Sami96SA
20-10-2002, 03:23 PM
Khuder

That's fine, and I wish you a safe and beneficial journey to Riyadh. We are looking forwatd to your topic when you come back inshallah

In the mean time, I would like us to continue with this idea until Khuder posts his topic. I suggest another member takes the inititive and posts an idea for discussion.

Who will volunteer

-----------------

Sami

ROMEO
25-10-2002, 02:09 PM
Guys Iam terribly sorry for being so late in my participation and I also want to apologize to uncle for being away whilst he waited so long as a consquence of my bad temper lately

Anyhow, lovely session u guys which tackled everything concerning the targeted issue but as Romeo was the only absent member here ,he would like to have the honour of taking the part of preparing the next discussion as khuder will return back with his promised idea .

Iam really thankful to all of u guys for your collaborate work and fabulous attendance in such a unique session which for sure will extend our thought's range and will be beneficial as much as we share new distinctive notions

At the end and if God Wills I will post the next topic which will be targeting everyone in Dorarr

Thanks